CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 19, 2010

a first (and hopefully last) for us

So, yesterday was the BIG day...Olivia's surgery. We had to be to the hospital at 6am and surgery was scheduled for 7:30 (she was the first of the day). We arrived right on time and since we pre-registered over the phone, paperwork was a piece of cake and we were upstairs in no time. They brought us back 10-15 minutes later, took her vitals , and then showed us to her pre-op room (#18). The entire staff was phenomenal! She was by far, the youngest on the floor that morning, and being the happy baby she is, they all fussed over her. By 7:00am we had met her pre-op and charge nurse. By 7:10 she started to fuss (she was tired and VERY hungry), but shortly after we met one of Dr Chandran's residents who would be assisting in the procedure, the two anesthesiologists, and her operating room nurse. We changed her into the smallest yellow hospital gown I have ever seen (which still hung off her) as she drifted to sleep. Rich (Brandon's dad) stopped by on his way to work to check in on her while Jackie had come by to be at the house when Kate and Jack woke up, got them ready and off to daycare. Dr Chandran arrived right at 7:30 and got started immediately. It wasn't quite 7:45 and she came back to let us know Olivia did great! You mean I had barely wiped my face dry and she was done already!? I was amazed (and relieved!!). By 8:00, she was back in my arms, and I was just as anxious to hold her then as I was the day she was born. I know (now) that this is a very routine, simple procedure, but to have your 8 month old taken from your arms to be put on a surgical table was a scary thing. We will be back to see the Audiologist for a follow up hearing test in 2 weeks and our post-op visit with the surgeon in 3 weeks. Though it was quick and simple, I have no desire to experience anything of the sort anytime soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment